AYAM PONGTEH RECIPE
(CHICKEN AND POTATO STEW)
adapted from Simple Dish Online
- 800g chicken, cut into bite-size
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium carrots, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 shallots
- 1 inch of ginger, sliced
- 1 tbsp bean paste (taucheo)
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 500ml water
- White ground pepper to taste
- Blend or pound the garlic and onions with a pestle and mortar.
- Saute the garlic and onion paste until fragrant.
- Add in bean paste, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce and ginger. Stir until slightly thickened then add the chicken, potatoes, carrots and water.
- Add palm sugar, soy sauce and dark soy sauce and let it boil.
- Bring the heat down and simmer for about an hour.
- Season with sugar, soy sauce and pepper to taste. Let it simmer for another minute.
- Serve with with steamed rice.