While I am on my way to Penang, my home sweet home, thought I shall share this Nyonya recipe with you. Something quick, light and gets your taste buds ticking. I will be sure to post some updates about the heavenly food we get here, and probably get you salivating looking at the screen. :p
This salad is dead easy. The most time consuming part is shredding the vegetables. The rest of the work is just mixing and placing them nicely on a plate to make it presentable. Then comes the best part; eat! Hope you like this salad, to add on to a quick and tasty meal.
KERABU BIHUN (VERMICELLI SALAD) RECIPE
adapted from Nyonya Flavours
- 200g fresh rice vermicelli
- 200g prawns (shelled, devein & steamed)
- 100g shredded cooked chicken
- 100g bean sprout
- 80g cucumber (shredded)
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 8 shallots (sliced)
- 1 ginger flower (thinly sliced)
- 3 stalks lemongrass (thinly sliced)
- 4 tbs toasted desiccated coconut
- 3 tbs sambal belacan
- salt & sugar to taste
- 3 pcs hard bean curd (deep fried & cut into strips)
- 50g mint leaves
- Blanch the fresh vermicelli and bean sprouts separately, in boiling water and run through cold water.
- Drain and set aside.
- Toss all ingredients together in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Add salt and sugar to taste, then toss again.
- Garnish with mint leaves and fried bean curd, and it is ready to be served.
- If using dried vermicelli, soak until soft and boil for 2 minutes. Drain and run through cold water to prevent sticking.
- The quality of the sambal belacan is very important as that gives it the core flavour so make with good ingredients and season well.