Some easy to make appetizers or snacks that look and taste fresh. The only cooking involved is to toast the bread. The rest is down to the good quality and fresh ingredients, and your dainty hands to make them look pretty.
I made these for a light breakfast one Saturday morning and M was not happy. He expected our usual yummy breakfast that involves eggs and probably ham and vegetables. Vegetarian breakfast is not his thing. Although he finished the healthy crostini and agreeing that it tasted nice, he was still left slightly unsatisfied. I can’t blame him cause I expected the reaction I got. So if like me, you have a meat eater partner or family member, please don’t make the same mistake. Feed him the ham or salmon he so badly needs in the morning. You can always replace the vegetables with ham, cooked chicken, prawns or smoked salmon and dill. A smile is all we need to start the day.
In actual fact, I made these as they are beautiful in pictures, risking a baby frown from my grown man. He knew what I was up to :p
RICOTTA CROSTINI RECIPE
- 1/2 baguette
- butter to spread
- 120g ricotta
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 tbs orange juice
- 1/2 cucumber (sliced)
- 3 large Pecorino tomatoes (or any tomato)
- Handful of toasted hazelnuts
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven at 180 on grill setting.
- Slice up the baguette and spread some butter. Place them on a baking tray and toast for about 7 minutes or until slightly crisp.
- Place ricotta in bowl, add orange zest, orange juice and a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper, and mix well.
- Spread them on the toasted baguettes.
- Neatly place some sliced cucumber and mint on slices of toasted baguette.
- For the tomato crostini, place a few drops of balsamic vinegar on a toast with ricotta spread and top with basil and tomato.
- For the hazelnut crostini, spoon some honey on top of the ricotta and top with hazelnuts.
- Sprinkle some sea salt over the crostinis and serve.
- The key to good crostini is to let the ingredients speak for themselves so use good quality and fresh ingredients.
- You can use salmon with dill or any other ingredients you prefer. Be creative.